5.06.2010

Plants: not dead! pt I

Today I finally summoned the courage to lift the covers on my perennials and see how they had fared through the spring storm.


photo.jpg


I wasn't sure what to expect, but they're doing fine-- at least, these ones are. (Some other perennials were under cotton sheets because I ran out of proper covers, and they're still too snowy to check on.) I covered them with plastic lids (saved from a catered event at my work), and I guess the snow insulated them before it actually got cold. I think at the coldest it got to around -6 earlier in the week. I would like to know what temperature it was under the covers!

[The plants are, clockwise from the top, creeping jenny; periwinkle; some succulents including several hen & chicks; and the one in the middle is a mystery, even to me. I bought it from the farmer's market without a tag, but the person at the booth assured me that it would take over my garden if I let it, and that sounded like my kind of plant.]


photo.jpg


I have several watermelon sprouts now and the very first peeking signs of a pepper. The peppers should have been in their pots weeks ago, of course, but these seeds only just arrived from Terra Edibles. There are two watermelon varieties, Cream of Saskatchewan and Sugar Baby; and the peppers are Jimmy Nardello, a sweet Italian pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment