5.17.2010

Succulents

I've been just obsessed with succulents lately. I think this post on Apartment Therapy sparked the initial obsession. Look at this amazing planter! I love the range of textures and colours you can find in succulents, the little leaves that just beg to be touched, the spiky otherworldly shapes they grow in. They can grow very close together-- they don't mind being a bit squished.


Here's my version--somewhat crappy photo with my iphone. I picked up the blue container from the discount shelf at Winners. I filled the bottom with styrofoam packing peanuts to make it lighter and to improve drainage-- succulents really don't like having wet roots.


And I keep buying more. I was at the surprisingly awesome Walmart garden centre today and I picked up another bagful:




obsessedwithsucculents


It's astonishing to me that anything survives our winters, let alone these delicate-looking little plants that look like they grew on another planet. I've already planted a bunch in my outside planters, and hopefully I will get these ones into the ground today or tomorrow. My desk at work is also being overwhelmed by them. The Safeway near my work carries cute little ceramic pots full of succulents too. I'm finding them everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment