3.10.2011

Dispatch from the basement (Zone 2 probably)

I have a great feeling of accomplishment because I finally washed all the little pots from last year's seed-starting. This is such a boring job, I never feel like doing it, but now that it's done I do feel good about it.

I finally washed all the pots


The first artichoke 

And here is a picture of the first artichoke to poke through. It still has its seed casing stuck to it. I will give it a day or two to see if it can crack it on its own. I've pulled them off in the past (VERY carefully) with no ill effects. But I don't like playing God :)

As of today I am up to 8 asparagus sprouts and 1 artichoke. I've been impressed with the germination of the asparagus. The package said they germinate in 2-8 weeks, and I had my first sprout 10 days after planting. I really think my heat mats help with this. (Yes, the heat mats also constitute playing God. For some reason it's different.)

Outside temperature: -16. Believe it or not this is balmy compared to the -25 to -30 weather we've had for the past couple weeks. Bring on spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment